Motor Vehicle

Motor Vehicle Licensing is the most frequently visited area of the Clerk's office. Motor vehicle licenses must be renewed annually and any sale of a motor vehicle must be registered within 15 days of purchase.

Effective 12/30/2019, motorists purchasing or renewing select special license plates at county clerk offices will be required to pay a $10 charitable donation to the organization represented on the requested plate.

Read the official press release. [PDF, 136KB]

Registering Kentucky Titled Vehicles & Trailers

Required paperwork:

  • Original title (no photocopies)
  • Proof of current KY insurance (not needed on trailers)

Completing a transfer from one Kentucky individual to another Kentucky individual:

In processing any transfer proof of Commonwealth of Kentucky insurance is required. If you provide the Clerk’s Office an insurance card as proof of insurance, the card cannot have an Effective/Issue date older than 45 days from the date that it is presented. It is important to note that the effective date of the policy may be different than the effective date of the insurance card. For acceptance the Clerk’s Office is concerned with the date the card was issued, not the policy. This applies to Personal Policies only.

Note: Both signatures of the seller (transferor) and buyer (transferee) are required to be notarized. Title has two sections for the seller(s) signature to be notarized by attesting official. Title has two sections for buyer(s) signature. Buyer(s) signature must be notarized on the right side portion of title under Application for Title/Affidavit of Total Consideration in buyer(s) section.

The correct odometer reading is required. The Title and VTR may be completed and notarized outside the County Clerk’s Office. In such cases anyone may bring the paperwork in for processing.

If the buyer or seller’s signature is notarized by the County Clerk’s Office, the person must appear in person with a valid picture I.D. A $2.00 notary fee is charged for each signature.

In processing any transfers proof of insurance is required. The buyer must provide proof of current Kentucky insurance on the vehicle being transferred. The original card must include Commonwealth of Kentucky, Name, Vehicle identification number (VIN), NAIC number, Policy number, Personal or Commercial policy type, Effective and Expiration Dates.

All fees including a $17 transfer fee, notary fees (if applicable), plate fees (if applicable) and sales or usage taxes are due at the time of transfer.

Usage tax is based on 6% of purchase price when using a Total Consideration Affidavit. If not, the vehicle is taxed on 6% of the NADA (National Auto Dealers Association) retail value. Any delinquent tax on the vehicle being transferred must be paid before transfer. Any delinquent tax on other vehicles owned by the purchaser must be paid prior to transfer.

A license plate must be current in order to transfer the vehicle. Specialty Plates cannot be transferred from one customer to another. A vehicle with a current Specialty Plates prior to transfer will have the plate converted to a standard plate.

If you have any questions regarding this information, you may call our Motor Vehicle Department in the County Clerk’s Office at 270-522-0217.

Out of State Vehicles

  1. A Sheriff’s Inspection is required on all out-of-state vehicles. You must take the title and vehicle to the Sheriff’s Office at 134 Commerce Street, Cadiz, KY for inspection. For the Sheriff’s office hours, call 270-522-6014.
    There is a fee of $5.00 (cash or check made out to Trigg County Sheriff) for inspections.
  2. The original title from previous state is required. If the title is being held by a lien holder, it must be released to the Trigg County Clerk.. Our office will file a lien on your new Kentucky title. The County Clerk’s Office will notify you of receipt of your title from the lien holder. If you do not apply for title and registration in Kentucky within thirty (30) days from the date the County Clerk’s Office receives the title from the lien holder, the title will be returned to the lien holder on the thirty-first (31st) day.
    When registering an out-of-state vehicle proof of Kentucky insurance on the vehicle is required.

Motor Vehicle Fees

Please note the Trigg County Clerk’s Office is only responsible for the collection of these taxes. The values assessed and printed onto the renewal notices are the responsibility of the Office of Property Valuation, Motor Vehicle Tax Branch (270-522-3271).

For more information or questions about Motor Vehicle fees, call the County Clerk’s Office at 270-522-0217 or online at​​​​​

Fees do not include any Notary charges, which are $2.00

Kentucky Revised Statute Section 64.012 as amended by House Bill 537, mandates the following fee changes below.

* = There will be a $10.00 fee for a "Replacement" or a second disabled placard.


Fee DescriptionFee
Duplicate Registration Fee$3.00
Duplicate Title Fee$6.00
Lien Penalty for Late MV Fees$2.00
Motor Vehicle Renewal$21.00
Motor Vehicle Renewal of 10,000 lb. vechicles or greaterVaries by weight
Motor Vehicle Title Application$9.00
Motor Vehicle Transfer$17.00
Permanent Disabled Placard$0*
Temporary Disabled Placard$0*
Title Lien Statement$22.00
Motor Vehicle